POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "Paintings" : Re: "Paintings" Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Paintings"
From: nemesis
Date: 28 Aug 2010 10:25:00
Message: <web.4c791b10a7f622cf1d5b3dfa0@news.povray.org>
"Joost" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been hobbying a while now with POV-ray. I used to paint but bumped into my
> limitations a few years ago and very luckily found POV-ray. I've not been a big
> communicator on this site - I asked a few questions which were answered (thanks
> again), and I've been able to answer 1 (yes, one!!) question, but I thought it
> about time to post my images and get some feedback. They are on my site:
>
> www.joostdevries.nl/en/

I have to say those are some of the more stylized and beautiful povray renders I
ever saw.  Not quite like paintings, more like paper collage.  Truly beautiful.

> All comments and suggestions welcome, Thanks, Joost

I remember you because of this funky nick "Joost".  How funky is that that it is
actually your real name? :D

Thomas de Groot also have this groovy oooo intonation.... :D

about the pictures:  the sun doesn't show up in the reflection in Ponte Vechio,
but I like the symetry. :)

> PS I'm looking for some advice on printing them for a small exhibition (and
> uploading them to Zazzle and so). I'm using Gimp to add the text to my images
> and then save them as JPEG. Is there a best resolution for aprox A2 size? Or is
> as high as possible the best??

You could just feed that into Gimp's new image dialog box and set the unit to
millimeters.

Hope it turns out ok with Gimp, since so many photoshop slaves love to brag
about how friggin unsuited it is for print since it lacks CMYK... I'd at least
try a few test prints in much lower paper size just to be sure...